Accurate stockpile volume measurements is crucial on any aggregate, mining, or construction site. You can quickly and easily get accurate volume measurements within hours of flying your site using the on-demand volumetric measurement tool in your Skycatch viewer!
This tool has been rigorously tested internally and also on real projects by drone service providers, aggregates teams, professional surveyors, and large enterprises.
How to use the On Demand Volume Measurements tool:
- Log in to your Skycatch account and select one of your maps that has 3D data available. You can verify this by opening the calendar and looking for the 3D symbol.
- Once you've selected your map, click the NEW button in the upper left corner of the viewer and select MEASUREMENTS in the dropdown menu. Your mouse cursor will automatically turn into a crosshair symbol for drawing a polygon around the item you wish to measure.
- Draw the polygon around the area you wish to measure. You can rename the measurement and select the color the volumetric measurement displays as.
Note: we recommend drawing the outline of the polygon around the stockpile to extend beyond the toe of the stockpile, in order to include some of the surface on which it’s stored.
You can also edit the polygon if you'd like to adjust the shape by clicking on the polygon and clicking and dragging the white dots on the edge of the shape.
- Once you've finished drawing the polygon on the area you'd like measured, click the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the left side panel.
- You’ll see a notification on your screen and in the left hand side panel that the request has been received and is processing.
- Once the measurements have been calculated, you'll see a notification at the top of your screen and the measurement details will be displayed.
You’ll see the height, cut, fill, and total volume in a pop-up on the polygon.
- Make as many as as you'd like and they'll be saved in the list in the left panel! If you'd like to rename your measurement, click on the "Edit" button to the right of the measurement name.
- Once you've updated the name, click on "Save + Close" to save any changes.
- To delete a measurement, click on the trash can icon to the right of the Edit button of the measurement you'd like to delete. Confirm your choice by clicking "Delete" on the pop up or click "cancel" to return back to the previous screen.
Volumetric Measurements FAQ
What scenarios work best for performing high accuracy volumetric measurements?
Skycatch is working on developing this feature so we can support different volume storing scenarios. Currently, the best use cases are:
1. Stockpiles stored on a relatively flat surface, e.g. - not on a slope or a truck.
2. Stockpiles with clear toes (boundaries) e.g. - not stored against a wall or a bunker.
What's the accuracy threshold of the volumetrics tool?
Accuracy threshold for stockpiles measured on a flat plain can be up to 5%. Beta tests performed by a customer on three stockpiles showed a 2.9% average within the measurements calculated by more traditional methods. We're constantly working on improving this tool and will soon be releasing updates that improve the accuracy.
What is Skycatch basing the volumes off of when calculating volumetric measurements?
We use the polygon you draw to create the base plane, and then use that to calculate the cut and fill volume.