This article describes how to do the initial setup of your DJI drone using the DJI GO iOS App, which includes activating the drone with DJI and updating firmware.
Note that the article describes doing the steps with a Phantom 3, however, this same process is used with Phantom 3, Phantom 4, and Inspire 1.
- Power up your transmitter and then power up your drone.
Tap the "DJI GO" iOS icon to launch it.
- The following screen will appear. Tap the "PHANTOM _ _________" tab to select your drone. (The "Camera" tab will appear gray because your iOS device is not yet plugged into the transmitter.)
- Attach the lightning cable from the transmitter to your iOS device. (The "Camera" tab will now be blue as your device is plugged into the transmitter and detected.)
- You will now need to activate the Phantom 3. Tap "Next" to continue.
- Choose a name for the aircraft, then tap the "Continue>" button
- Next, it will allow you to choose the Control Mode. We recommend that you use Mode 2 (Default) as it is the standard & tap the "Continue >"button.
- Leave the Customizable Buttons as is and tap the "Continue >" button.
- Choose your preferred unit and video output readings and tap the "Continue >" button.
- Next, it will ask if you would like to stay in "Beginner Mode." If you are a beginner, we highly recommend that you stay in this mode and practice flying first. If not, turn off "Beginner Mode" and tap the "Continue >" button.
- Sign in using your DJI credentials or create an account if you have do not have one.
Tap "Connect to Server" to continue.
Tap "Activate" to register the drone under your account.
- Once the drone has been activated successfully, it will ask you to update the firmware.
NOTE: If this is your first time, please take the time to watch the video tutorials by tapping the "Video Tutorials" button. They are very helpful and will give you an idea of how to operate the drone safely and responsibly.
Next, tap the "Update Firmware" button to update because the drone will not allow you to fly without current firmware.
Open up the DJI GO App with both the drone and the transmitter turned on. Tap the "Camera" button. You should see the following screen. Tap the "Firmware requires to upgrade" button:
Tap "Start to Upgrade" to continue:
When the RC upgrade is complete, the following screen will appear:
To update the firmware on the aircraft, follow the instructions and go to http://www.dji.com/ and look for your specific Phantom and download the firmware. It should be in a ".zip" file.
Unzip the file and drag the ".bin" file onto an SD card (you can use the SD card that comes with the drone). Then insert the SD card into the drone.
Click here to watch a video on how to update the firmware on the Phantom 3
- After the drone firmware has been successfully updated, you may open up the DJI GO App.
It may ask you to calibrate the iPhone or iPad's compass. Follow the directions on the screen:
- When done calibrating the iPhone or iPad's compass, the DJI GO App may ask you to calibrate the drone's compass.
- Tap the "Calibrate" button and when ready, Tap "OK" to continue:
CLICK HERE to watch a video on how to calibrate the drone's compass.
- It will ask you to hold the drone horizontally and rotate it in a circle. Then, it will ask you to hold the drone facing down vertically and rotate it in a circle.
Please refer to the video above for more info.
- If it is not, you will see the following screen. Please tap "Re-Calibration" & repeat Step 15 until calibration is complete
- If calibration is successful, now please verify the camera settings.
CLICK HERE to learn how to verify the camera settings.
Disclaimer: while Skycatch may provide recommendations and links on how to support DJI drones, you will always find the most up-to-date information regarding your DJI drone on their website at: http://www.dji.com/support.